Thursday, March 03, 2005

On the questions of students

A student asked me today--and it caught me completely by surprize! With complete candor he asked, "Are we still waiting for the return of Jesus?"

"Pardon," I said. It did not occur to me that I had heard, what I had heard.

"Is the Church still waiting for Jesus to come back?"

"Yes," I said, "we are."

I desperately wish that I had said, "Some may have given up hope, but the Catholic Church is still waiting."

He said to me, "Well, we never talk about it, do we?"

I wanted to reply, "Well what the hell do you think we're doing here?" But, of course I didn't. That would have been rude and hurtful. And would have shot the learning moment straight to hell. And I'm trying during Lent. . .

"It depends," I said. "The Liturgy is full of little reminders. You know, the mystery of faith; and later on the embolism ...as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Lord, Jesus Christ. WE talk about it. But, are any of us paying attention?"

I suggested that he bring it up in one of his classes. It might have been wicked, but I did. Maybe it would be a good thing for third-year theologians to talk about.

I admire that this guy asks his questions! I often despair at the Church because he has these questions to ask! But he is marvelous!

The existential question is a good one, are any of us waiting in that joyful hope we hear of at Mass, or have we forgotten to wait, or simply given up? It seems like a great project for the rest of Lent! And, wasn't that just what each of us was hoping for?