Thursday, February 17, 2005

One of those Quizzes, who would have guessed?

According to the Quiz:

You are Lady Cordelia Flyte.
You are loving and loyal.
You're not a sentimental dowdy,
however: you have a lively sense of humor
and keen intellect.



I think that I'd rather be Kurt, but if I can't be Kurt, Lady Cordelia will do, nicely!

Every one of us wants to be understood, accepted, loved. All of us want to belong, even those of us who want to be king -of -hill want to belong. That's why they have all these quizzes. So that we can see who it is that we are like, Which Lord of the Rings character am I, what dog breed, what flower, what temperament. All of us want to know. Because if we knew what we were like, we might begin to know ourselves. We might be able to invest ourselves in that something understood by ourselves and by others. We won't have to be ourselves. No, I'm Cordelia Flyte! I'm 82% Southern! I'm Roman Catholic!

The truth is that we are far too mysterious for a quiz or an inventory to fathom. We really admit that when we take them, but they are amusing and seductive. So much easier to contemplate a handful of questionable-though verified-results than to confront the mystery that is each of us from the murky core to the outer-most layer of skin!

Psalm 139: 12-13:

For it was you who formed my inward parts;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works; that I know very well.


We belong, not to ourselves, but to God who made us. And God alone knows us fully, and loves us. We are like God when we attempt to know ourselves as God knows us, and our neighbors. And to love.

Our resilient littleness can get in the way of this knowing and this love. Perhaps while we are busy, this Lent, with prayer, fasting and almsgiving, we can try to outgrow some of this littleness.


What Brideshead Revisited character are you?
brought to you by Quizilla.