Saturday, February 12, 2005

Seeking the Redeemer

The good news of our redemption is often lost, or should I say overshadowed, by considerations of the consequences of living the life of the redeemed. Yet the redemption is the REAL news of the Good News that is the Gospel. Each of us may fail from time to time, in our attempts at living the life of the redeemed, but our redemption is the work and the gift of the Redeemer, not something that we ever merit by ourselves. This is well underscored by the Little Chapter from Sext this morning:

Isaiah 44:22:
O Israel, you will not be forgotten by me.
I have swept away your transgressions like a cloud,
and your sins like mist;
return to me, for I have redeemed you.
Psalm 119:176 bears witness to this, also from Sext today:
I am lost like a sheep; seek your servant
for I remember your commands.
As we make our way to the celebration of Easter, during these journey days of Lent, we do well to bear in mind that, while we strive to overcome our sins, failings, littleness, it is the redeemer, who seeking us, will find us. It is Jesus who calls us to the feast.