Monday, February 28, 2005

On Fowler's snares

I'm finding it impossible to move on from the last topic, namely:
Times change, and those that can't keep up will be swept away.
I am offended by this notion! I DO NOT want it to be true, and I'm pretty het up about it and all.

So what response does faith have to this? God's mercy has just got to be bigger than this, even when, sometimes, God is the one doing the sweeping away! God's mercy has got to be bigger!

Every morning in Lent the spotless Bride of Christ chants at the top of her lungs, in every time zone, the following responsory after the Little Chapter:
God himself will set me free, from the hunter's snare.
---God himself will set me free, from the hunter's snare.

From those who would trap me with lying words
---and from the hunter's snare.

Evening Prayer tonight includes these verses from Psalm 124:

Blessed be the Lord who did not give us
a prey to their teeth!
Our life, like a bird, has escaped
from the snare of the fowler.

Indeed the snare has been broken
and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.

So, however desperate it gets, and however wrathful even God sometimes may be, he still is the one who will snatch us from the jaws of death, who will catch us up when we have been swept away.

One day, soon, I will steal myself to reread St. Irenaeus work on the recapitulation, but 'til then, a sincere dependence on God's mercy cannot be the wrong thing.