Friday, July 04, 2008

On the Anniversary of the Great Rebellion



Another year has come and gone in our Great Experiment in self-government. I am not ungrateful for the liberties and prosperity that we have achieved. But I find it terribly unsettling that a relatively small cabal of smugglers, privateers, tax avoiders, and slave owners could subvert the peace of an entire nation in order to set up a system that seems convenient for them. Am I speaking of our Founding Fathers or the boys and girls that run the show today?

I recently had the opportunity to visit our neighbors to the north who see themselves as the beneficiaries of an unbroken continuity of a greater heritage in British North America. I cannot honestly say that Canada looks any the worse for wear labouring as she does under the yoke of the descendant of that anointed person our fore-fathers so proudly rejected.

I continue to pray for the thousands of loyal hearts who lost property, livelihoods, reputation, national identity, even lives as the direct result of the Declaration we recall today!

I continue to pray for those who have and who do put themselves in harms way in defense of that nation which arose from the rebellion we celebrate with firework and fanfare.

I continue to pray for the quiet repose of George III, so cruelly treated by the exigencies of circumstance and polity.

And, I continue to pray for the continued vigor of that Sovereign Lady who could still be our own!