Monday, June 30, 2008

On the Musing of the Culture-Starved

This past semester I experienced the worst betrayal of my entire life! TV let me down for the first time ever! The justice issues of the Writer's strike aside, a great injustice was wrought on the American People. Drama and sitcom alike were cast aside to be replaced by ever less slick, ever less satisfying, ever less real REALITY Television. Nothing worth watching, nothing to enlighten, or to entertain. God, it was like living in Soviet Isolation!

Hungry for something at the end of the day to muse over with more depth of field than the Real World or Survivor reruns I happened on Dexter--a Showtime Original which was rebroadcast on one of the hybrid channels lower on the cable list. It was enlightening, entertaining, and simply a relief from the general boredom otherwise broadcast during the struggle for equity!

This past week while I was attending the most recent Annual Conference of the American Theological Library Association, held in Ottawa. I was grateful to discover the original novels on which Dexter was based:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter ; Dearly Devoted Dexter ; Dexter in the Dark all novels by Jeff Lindsay. I commend them to you because they are light and dark all at the same time. Just like real life!