Sunday, July 10, 2005

I've been reading, A Serious Person, by Orlando Outland, and have found a number of very useful insights into my own world-view; for example:

From the very first page, regarding social events:

How is that everybody sees a party as a joyous occasion and a job interview as a thing to dread? They feel the same to me.

Regarding networking and the memory of the MAN (page 3):

Especially in the great churning cauldron of New York Media, every important person is constantly being introduced to fresh new faces eager for exposure. Stop reimprinting your face on Anna Wintour's memory and the new boys and girls will move into her head, remove your nameplate from the door to her memory of you, and put theirs up in its stead. I guess that's what I hate about these things -- some people look as this kind of event and see excitement, glamour, fun. Me, I just see warfare.