Sunday, July 09, 2006

On the Fourteenth Sunday Per Annum

II Corinthians 12:6-10
But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given to me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’ So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

Mark 6:1-6
He left that place and came to his home town, and his disciples followed him. On the sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astounded. They said, ‘Where did this man get all this? What is this wisdom that has been given to him? What deeds of power are being done by his hands! Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?’ And they took offence at him.
Then Jesus said to them, ‘Prophets are not without honour, except in their home town, and among their own kin, and in their own house.’ And he could do no deed of power there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and cured them. And he was amazed at their unbelief.
Then he went about among the villages teaching.


Each of us comes with weaknesses, anti-virtues, faults. Which, if any, of these can be described as a thorn in the flesh, is a mystery too deep for me. We are not perfect, whole, complete, but are works in progress. Paul grappled with his impediment, was it ugliness, flatulence, a stammer, some have suggested it was something sexual--whatever it was, Paul grappled with this Thorn in the Flesh fully in the sight of God and came to some peace about it.

Perhaps, today we should rejoice for the gifts we have been given and ask God to give us that peace he desired for Paul.