Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Welcome to Lent

Matthew 6:16-18

Concerning Fasting

And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.


Lent always creeps up on me. Every year, even after eleven years of Mardi Gras Madness, I'm totally surprised, caught out! I'm never ready. I never want to. . . .

Jesus has no desire to catch us out. So the Church invites us to give alms, to fast, to pray during these journey days. It doesn't have to be a solemn time. And we shouldn't fake it, if it is not for us a solemn time. St. Francis used to wander about Italy, we are told, bewailing: Love is not loved! And, perhaps he is not. But Love loves, and you and I can love too, because we are loved. Remember, it is joyful hope that we live in; Jesus is with us, welcome to Lent.