Sunday, November 20, 2005

On endings and beginnings



It's the end of the World as we know it
It's the end of the World as we know it
It's the end of the World as we know it
And I feel fine

Christus vincit!
Christus regnat!
Christus imperat!


Ezekiel 34:11-12, 15-17

Thus says the Lord GOD:
I myself will look after and tend my sheep.
As a shepherd tends his flock
when he finds himself among his scattered sheep,
so will I tend my sheep.
I will rescue them
from every place where they were scattered
when it was cloudy and dark.
I myself will pasture my sheep;
I myself will give them rest, says the Lord GOD.
The lost I will seek out,
the strayed I will bring back,
the injured I will bind up,
the sick I will heal,
but the sleek and the strong I will destroy,
shepherding them rightly.

As for you, my sheep, says the Lord GOD,
I will judge between one sheep and another,
between rams and goats.


We celebrate the end of the liturgical year. We look forward to the end of the world and the final appearing of Christ and his victorious reign--the completion of the salvific cycle that began with creation.

I have to say that I'm deeply disturbed that the Lord might destroy the sleek and the strong, but I deeply hope that he will seek me out, bring me back, bind up my injuries, and heal me. I hope that there are none for whom God will not act in mercy.